Monday, September 8, 2008

Jean Rollin: The Collaborators (Ariane Sapriel)



I was hoping to do a full post on the incredibly lovely Ariane Sapriel, a beguiling French actress who makes a big impression in Rollin's first feature The Rape of the Vampire. Unfortunately I have been able to find out next to nothing about this lovely and very striking woman with incredibly hypnotic eyes.
She has only two films listed to her credit at IMDB (this one and Alain Robbe Grillet's legendary Trans Europe Express) and this magazine cover advertising Rollin's film is the only image I could find of her online (courtesy of Germany's eBay).




A huge thank you to the fabulous blog Zines for the better scan of this cover!

Otherwise I can't find anything. Rollin mentions on the essential commentary on Encore's set of Le Viol Du Vampire that he remembers her as quite "charming" but as a bit of an "outsider". He also recalls how Ursulle Pauly delighted in hitting her for real in one of the film's most vicious moments, a story that probably says a lot as to why Sapriel never worked for Rollin again (and apparently never shot another film period).

Still, I find her quite captivating and regret that I can't find any more information on her. Surrounded by quite an extraordinary cast of characters in Rape of the Vampire, she really stands out and gives an extremely brave and effective performance.

2 comments:

The King Of Cool said...

That's a shame. I would love to learn more about her. Sorry that you can't really find out much about her.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith...I'll definately supply more info if I come across any...