Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Jeunes Filles Impudiques Contest Winner


Congratulations to Thomas Duke over at Cinema Gonzo for winning a copy of Finders Keepers Jeunes Filles Impudiques E.P. with this excellent piece on discovering Rollin and celebrating The Iron Rose. I really love Thomas' piece on the film, where he connects Rollin to Bresson, and I hope he enjoys the record! Here is the first section of his article and the rest can be read by following the link at the end. Thanks again Thomas and enjoy the E.P.!

"I think my initial exposure to the films of Jean Rollin was a viewing of Requiem For a Vampire, the old U.S. Redemption DVD release. Considering the misleading cover, I was expecting something along the lines of one of the Jess Franco vampire films (like Vampyros Lesbos), but got something entirely different. I was immediately entranced by this nearly wordless fairy tale, taking place in and around a crumbling French castle, in a tangible world both darkly mysterious and beautifully decrepit; a fantasy of the earth. While not at all what I expected, I was instantly hooked, and sought out all of the films of his that I could find. Rollin’s films are often equated in terms of their sex and horror elements, as leisurely paced genre efforts, but I think this is a case of a director who works inside of a genre (the Euro sex/horror film) in order to do something of his own making, only containing several surface elements of what is normally expected of these kinds of films." Click here to continue reading the full post over at Cinema Gonzo.

1 comment:

Soukesian said...

Bravo! A worthy winner!