Thursday, December 16, 2010

Jean Rollin R.I.P.



It is with great sadness this morning that I have to report that our beloved Jean Rollin has passed away. I first heard the news yesterday afternoon via a series of discussions on Facebook, and through some emails, but finding confirmation was difficult. I was hoping to wake up today and find that this was a mistake but the news of Rollin's passing is now being reported through various media outlets as well. While I have known that his health had been very poor this is still very shocking news and I am extremely saddened by it.

Yesterday while I was reading all of the various notes of concerned friends over at Facebook I was reminded of what an inspiring force Jean Rollin was to his fans. We live in a society that more often than not embraces artists that play it safe, where taught technical proficiency is embraced more than genuine passion. Jean Rollin was a confrontational and wonderfully rough around the edges artist who was the very opposite of safe throughout his career. Reading the outpouring of love yesterday on Facebook reminded me of the kinship that I feel with fellow fans who don't want their art to be easy and sanitized.

Jean Rollin loved the cinema and you can feel that passion in all of his works. You can also sense that passion in the inspiring, and quite remarkable, stand Rollin took in the last 15 years when he refused to quit working no matter how poor his health became. This man lived to create and we are all blessed as film and literature lovers who embrace art that dares be dangerous and difficult as well as haunting and poetic.

I can only offer up my most sincere best wishes to Jean Rollin's family and friends on this very sad day. I will begin offering up links to the various tributes that will no doubt begin appearing as well later today. I will also continue honoring this great poet of the cinema here at Fascination, as I believe with all of my heart that this is a valuable project and Rollin is deserving of the best tribute we can give him.

While we mourn the loss of Jean Rollin at the age of 72 let us also celebrate the incredible body of work he left for us to watch, read and admire. Here was a filmmaker and author that was truly unique, who played by his own rules and who was able to stand apart from all of his peers with his very distinct vision. Simply put, there has never been anyone quite like Jean Rollin and, honestly, how many other modern artists can you say that about?

14 comments:

The Vicar of VHS said...

I am so sad to hear this news. Rollin was definitely one-of-a-kind, a true artist and visionary. It's a tremendous loss. His work will live on, and his legacy is a grand one.

>>I believe with all of my heart that this is a valuable project and Rollin is deserving of the best tribute we can give him.

Well put, and much agreed. This blog is a wonderful resource for fans old and new, and a great monument to his legacy. My condolences to Rollin's family, friends, and fans. Merci, Jean, for all you gave. You will be missed.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thank you Vicar for the those moving and heartfelt comments.

Neige said...

We've lost the best french director. Jean Rollin, was, is and always will be through his movies !
I'm so sad, thank you for your marvellous blog.
Guillaume

Ben said...

That's a beautiful tribute Jeremy - thanks for wtiting it.

I'm absolutely flattened by this news today. It's rare for me to be this affected by the death of a filmmaker, but, well, y'know...

Rollin put so much of himself into his work and shared his vision so powerfully, it's hard not to feel as if you know the guy personally.

Fear Finder said...

A very sad day for the film community. A true auteur. He will be missed.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much everyone for the continuing comments. It's wonderful to read so much love for Jean and his work on this difficult morning.

bjoernh said...

I just read the post and I don't know what to say. The news has shocked me to the Core. Jean Rollin is my favourite Director. I love his work and can not believe that he is gone. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. For me this is the sadest day of the yearm

Johell said...

I'm completely devastated. It's so sad to know that one of my favorite filmmakers is gone for good. Tears are rolling on my cheeks.

I've also made a tribute to Jean, a great directors with so many wonderful films. It's in french but you can give it a look if you like : http://cinephiliquement-votre.blogspot.com/

Jeremy Richey said...

Continued thanks for the very heartfelt comments.

Johell I have added your link to the tribute section. Thanks you and that's a lovely profile pic of Soledad btw.

Soukesian said...

>>I believe with all of my heart that this is a valuable project and Rollin is deserving of the best tribute we can give him.

Very much seconded. Just found out. That rare thing, a true poet of the cinema. A great loss. The films live on.

ThatQuebecGuy said...

Despite the sad circumstances, it's great to see all those loving tributes, he deserves them.

R.I.P. Jean Rollin.

night person said...

Variety has still not reported on Jean's passing or run an obituary. Jeremy, might you submit one to them? You are such the concise and thoughtful wordsmith.

Min said...

I only knew about Jean Rollin's passing two days later and I am still shocked. We lost a great artist, but thankfully his legacy will remain.

bjoernh said...

Rollins "offical" Website (that has not been updated for 2 years....) reports that the funeral will be held today: "Rollin's funeral will be held this Wednesday, 12/22/10 at 3 pm at the Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris, France"
I am @work but will try to keep a moment of silence ;(
And - in case you haven't seen it yet - it seems that a Rollin-Documentation is underway which has been shot recently: http://www.purplemilk-prod.com/rollin/
Hopefully we will see a release with english (or german :)) subtitels, since my french ist very, very poor ;(